A few months ago, I wrote about a year long Happiness Project that I started in August. This month, my focus is finance, and I thought I would share my resolutions for the month.
My quote for the month:
“If you can’t see your value, the world doesn’t give value back.” -Kate Northrup
What I am doing every day:
- Spend according to my values. Does the product or service I am spending my money on align with my values? When I buy groceries, for instance, I am willing to pay more for fresh, organic food with minimal packaging. By choosing these foods, I am showing my support for environmentally conscious and healthy foods.
- Keep cash in wallet (>$5). My boyfriend has had to bail me out of many situations because I rarely carry cash. Starting this month, I am always going to keep a few dollars in my wallet for the small situations that build up- having to pay for valet because there’s no street parking, tipping the bartender, or buying a drink at the gas station where I don’t want to expose my credit card.
- Gratitude practice. Every night, I write down at least three things I am grateful for. When I appreciate what I already have, I open up room for more wonderful things in my life. Two of my favorites so far: “meaningful conversations with my boyfriend” followed immediately by “prepared food at Whole Foods.” The little things are important, too!
One Time Goals:
- Take coins to the bank. I have about $50 worth of coins sitting in my apartment that I have been meaning to take to the bank. 90% of them are rolled already, and I still haven’t managed to drive them to the bank!
- Read “Your Money or Your Life” by Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez. This is a wonderful book on personal finance that has been on my reading list for awhile- I am excited to finally read it!
Did you set any goals for the new month or the new year?